Sunday, July 25, 2010

A Novice As A Farmer

Was it my first time? No, I have been going to Laoag City, Ilocos Norte in the Philippines for almost 20 years. There are a lot of farms. :)

By the way, Lea asked me if I joined her parents for picking blueberries. Then I said Yes! Her parents and her cousin Tess considered about me. They told me that it was very hot weather. I told them, "It's okay. I love it!"

Next early morning, I woke up at 5A.M., but Lea's parents were still sleepy. After 20 minutes, they got up and packed the bags for us. At 6A.M., a bus from Johavol Berries came and we rode in it. Richmond is very far from Lea's house.

I was surprised that friends of Lea's parents joined us.

Finally, we arrived the Johavol Berries which an Indian man owns the farm. It was my first time to see blueberry plants in my life because I thought they were like grape vines, yet they were not!

The weather was chilly. Lea's parents taught me how to harvest blueberries. It was interesting to learn. Harvesting green or red blueberries is prohibited they told me. And then I was ready to work on it~!!!

I carried the pail holding in front of my belly. I harvested and harvested a lot!!! I thought I worked so fast. I had two big pails of berries, but surprisingly, my friends got 3 or 5 pails. What the hell?!? Oh, I worked so slowly! For second time, I got 2 pails and for the last time, I got 3 pails!

After 10 hours, I felt bored of picking berries, so I got the small pail of blueberries for my family. Lea's parents let me take some rest.


Two people, sitting on the pail, are Lea's parents. :)


It is me! Wearing the cap and handkerchief protected me from the sunlight.





After 1 and 1/2 hours passed by, we finally went home at 7P.M.! I was so exhausted! Lea's father asked her for me. She interpreted me what he asked. He asked me if I came to pick again. I shook my head and said NOOOO! He laughed. He told me to give him my card that was how many weights I picked blueberries. It was 119. I am not sure which lbs or kg it was. And then I got paid. :)

A few hours, all my body was in so much pain, especially my hands, so I took medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment